Toshiba Group Publishes English Edition of Sustainability Report 2020Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 50% by FY2030 to contribute to realization of a net zero emissions society
TOKYO— Toshiba Corporation (TOKYO: 6502) today published the English edition of Toshiba Group Sustainability Report 2020, which outlines the Group's sustainability initiatives.
Toshiba has published an annual Environmental Report and a CSR Report since FY1998 and FY2004, respectively. In FY2020, Toshiba has combined the two into the Sustainability Report, to offer more comprehensive information disclosure for its stakeholders.
Sustainability Report 2020 presents Toshiba Group's approach to sustainability, and meets requests from stakeholders to expand disclosure on ESG activities. The coverage includes:
- Environment: details of the newly announced Toshiba Group’s Environmental Future Vision 2050—policies and initiatives with a long-term perspective that address the issues such as climate change and the circular economy.
- Social: basic policy on LGBT+, initiatives to ensure employee safety and health, and more information related to employees such as employee benefit programs and union membership rates.
- Governance: more information on risk management initiatives.
The report also clarifies how the Group’s ESG initiatives relate to the SDGs, covers the Group’s response to COVID-19, and looks at how Toshiba Group contributes to solving social issues.
Motivated by its Basic Commitment, "Committed to People, Committed to the Future.", Toshiba Group will continue to strengthen its ESG activities and information disclosure, and contribute to solving social issues and to the achievement of the SDGs through its technologies and businesses.
■ Overview of the Toshiba Group Sustainability Report 2020
1. Date of publication (English Edition): January 13, 2021
2. Available for download at:
3. Main points of the report:
Information on Environment:
- “Toshiba Group’s Environmental Future Vision 2050”, and its specific long-term targets.
- “The Seventh Environmental Action Plan (FY2021-FY2023)”, an action plan that advances realization of Toshiba Group’s Environmental Future Vision 2050.
- Information on risks and opportunities related to climate change based on the recommendations of TCFD (Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures) *.
- Greenhouse gas emissions throughout Toshiba Group’s value chain.
Information on Society:
- “Toshiba Group Basic Policy on Prohibition and Elimination of LGBT+ Discrimination”, announced in May 2020.
- “Toshiba Group Responsible Minerals Sourcing Policy”, revised in September 2020 from the previous Conflict Mineral Policy.
- Information on initiatives regarding employee safety and health, including COVID-19 prevention measures, union membership rates and employee benefit programs.
Information on Corporate Governance:
- Risk management and compliance structure, including the Compliance Advisory Meeting introduced in July 2020.
- Anti-corruption, export control and information security initiatives.
- Explanation of the COVID-19 Business Continuity Plan (BCP), and introduction of services used for infection control.
* The TCFD is an organization established by the Financial Stability Board (FSB) in 2015 where financial institutions and companies discuss the climate change issue from the perspective of financial stability.