Toshiba Group's Response to COVID-19
June 19, 2020
Updated May 8, 2023
Toshiba Group has responded to the global coronavirus pandemic with measures that prioritize the safety of our employees and their families, and of our customers and business partners since April 2020 as below. On May 8th, 2023, COVID-19 was downgraded to Category 5, the same level as seasonal influenza and other common infectious diseases under Japan's Infectious Diseases Control Law, and in alignment with this Toshiba Group has disbanded its Comprehensive COVID Task Force established in February 2020 and ended various measures related to COVID-19.
- May 26, 2021 – In line with the Japanese government's guidance, Toshiba Corporation and four of its key group companies in Japan introduced special vaccine leave that allows employees take paid time off to receive COVID-19 vaccines, and to deal with any side-effects on the day of the inoculation and the following day. As the vaccines available in Japan require two inoculations, employees can take up to four days of the special leave, in addition to annual paid leave.
- July 9, 2020 – Toshiba Digital Solutions Corporation released a distributed co-simulation platform for the automotive industry – Enables remotely operated joint digital prototyping, a new approach to automotive development for the post-coronavirus world (press release)
- June 5, 2020 – New factory for novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) antigen test kit
- April 16, 2020 – Reduction of Business Days in April at Toshiba Corporation and Toshiba Group Companies in Japan – To contain the spread of COVID-19, Toshiba Group revises domestic business calendar to reduce interpersonal contacts across the Group (press release)
- April 8, 2020 – Toshiba Group’s Response to COVID-19 in Japan (Japanese)
- April 15, 2020 – Toshiba International Corporation Pty., Ltd. introduced a voluntary flu vaccination initiative for employees. The program serves to protect the health of employees and the community, as it aims to alleviate the strain on the healthcare system and protect the wider community during this pandemic.
- March 10, 2020 – Toshiba Carrier Air-Conditioning Sales (Shanghai) Co., Ltd., extended support to its dealers to help them survive and recover from the coronavirus impact.
- February 13, 2020 – Toshiba group companies and employees in China donated approximately CNY1,000,000 to support the fight against coronavirus. (press release: Japanese, Chinese)
- October 30, 2020 – Toshiba Group in India continues to take care of employees and communities during the COVID-19 pandemic
- October 29, 2020 – Toshiba Software India Pvt. Ltd. initiated employee donations towards the relief fund for COVID-19 to Concern India Foundation, an NGO that extends assistance to COVID-19 affected people through multiple initiatives across India. The cash contribution raised was used to procure six portable patient monitoring systems, which help in monitoring the vital signs of patients, for General Hospital - Jayanagar, Bangalore.
- June 22, 2020 – Toshiba Transmission and Distribution Systems (India) Pvt. Ltd. contributed INR 20 lakhs (US$26,596) to the Telangana Chief Minister Relief Fund to support the fight against COVID-19. (press release)
- May 29, 2020 – Toshiba JSW Power System Pvt. Ltd. pledged INR 5lakhs (US$6,649) to the Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Relief Fund to support the fight against COVID-19, and donated INR 25lakhs (US$33,245) overall to various Chief Minister Relief Funds (press release)
- May 14, 2020 – Toshiba group companies have donated approximately INR 1.95 crores (US$259,305) during the current crisis, towards the fight against the pandemic, as well as other CSR activities approved by the government of India (press release)
- May 10, 2021 – PT. Toshiba Asia Pacific Indonesia donated 25,000 masks to residents in three locations in Cirebon, namely Kanci Village, Waruduwur Village and Kandawaru, ahead of the Lebaran Eid holiday, to mitigate the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- May 11, 2020 – PT. Toshiba Asia Pacific Indonesia extended aid to 12 villages located in Tanjung Jati and Cirebon, providing masks, hand sanitizers and other essentials to help the local community in the fight against the coronavirus.
- August 5, 2021 – Toshiba Tec Malaysia Sdn. Bhd. introduced T-Hub, a dedicated and exclusive mobile application for Toshiba Multifunction Printers (MFPs), and other business solutions to assist customers to adapt to the new norm and to curb the spread of COVID-19 at workplace.
- June 1, 2021 – Toshiba Tec Malaysia Sdn. Bhd. released an important notice on operations during the National Recovery Plan (NRP), previously known as the Full Movement Control Order (FMCO), on the company’s website and social media page.
- July 19, 2020 – Toshiba Tec Malaysia Sdn. Bhd. initiated a month-long Zoo Negara Donation Drive, and raised RM10,800 (US$2,538) for the sustenance and upkeep of the wildlife in the zoo. During this challenging period, which affects the zoo’s daily operations and ticket sales, the funds will be used to support food enrichment and veterinary care for the giraffes.
- March 3, 2021 – Toshiba Information Equipment (Philippines), Inc. (TIP) initiated a storybooks donation drive for children with special needs. TIP’s internal project team created two storybooks to help children understand the importance of adhering to COVID-19 precautionary measures. TIP employees were involved in the planning, conceptualization, writing, illustration creation and layout of the books. A total of 818 storybooks were donated to three schools, and school representatives shared their messages of appreciation at the presentation ceremony.
- March 24, 2020 – Toshiba Information Equipment (Philippines), Inc. donated personal protective equipment to essential frontline medical workers. The equipment was presented to various hospitals through local governments and the Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA).
- June 21, 2021 – Toshiba Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd. was featured in Singapore’s Tripartite Alliance for Fair & Progressive Employment Practices (TAFEP) telecommuting guide. This guide showcases selected companies in Singapore, and their efforts to maintain business continuity during the pandemic.
- May 11, 2020 – In partnership with the Singapore Economic Development Board, Toshiba TEC Singapore Pte Ltd. joined 12 other companies in donating 100,000 KN95 masks and five tonnes of hand sanitizer to the Batam City government, in support of frontline healthcare workers in Batam, Indonesia.
- May 13, 2020 – Toshiba Carrier (Thailand) Co., Ltd (TCTC) presented food items to Bangkadi Municipal Office, Pathum Thani Province. The food essentials, including canned fish, sugar and rice, were delivered to people in the district whose livelihood have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. TCTC has been actively involved in CSR activities such as environmental education in schools for children in Bangkadi Municipality, and the company will continue to look for ways to support the community.
- May 22, 2020 – Toshiba Gulf FZE (TGFZ) ensured the safety of its employees, customers and visitors with a deep cleaning sanitization drive that included precautionary disinfection of the entire premises. This voluntary action reassured employees and won the appreciation of the Jebel Ali Free Zone governing body. (press release)
- May 6, 2020 – Toshiba Global Commerce Solutions Italia S.r.l. is supporting frontline, essential workers who put their own lives at risk to protect ours. Employees are donating part of their paid vacation days to a local hospital, Vimercate Hospital. A donation equal to the paid leave amount will help the hospital to purchase materials needed to fight COVID-19.
- April-May 2021 – Toshiba Europe Ltd. initiated GoFundMe in EMEA region to raise funds from employees to support colleagues and their families who face unprecedented challenges due to COVID-19.
- March 9, 2021 – Toshiba Europe Ltd. initiated “Have a break,” an event to address employees’ mental health during the lockdown. All employees were invited to join an online break for a casual chat together, with a sweet delivered to the office or their homes.
- June 26, 2020 – Toshiba Air Conditioning UK have been chosen by TClarke Climate Solutions to supply the National Health Service in England with air conditioning systems for the Nightingale Hospital Exeter, England, which was built to provide care for patients suffering from symptoms of coronavirus.
- April 3, 2020 – Toshiba TEC U.K. Imaging Systems Ltd. released Coronavirus Business Update (further updated July 29, 2020)
- March 20, 2020 – Toshiba Air Conditioning UK announced an update on coronavirus (COVID-19)
- June 9, 2021 – Toshiba International Corporation held a blood drive, with several safety measures put in place by the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center, and exceeded Toshiba’s goal with 41 units collected, which saved 123 lives. The need for blood increased due to the pandemic and the blood bank had one of the lowest supplies of blood products on record.
- March 6, 2021 – Toshiba International Corporation (TIC) partnered with the Houston Food Bank for a volunteer event at their food distribution center. Due to the financial impact of COVID-19, the need for food heightened substantially for thousands of families in communities surrounding TIC. Our employees and their families volunteer sorted, packed and created meal boxes for those in need, and also donated $1,000 dollars. This combined effort provided 9,045 meals for those who are food poor.
- December 22, 2020 – Toshiba America, Inc.’s (TAI) latest COVID-19 relief effort was a holiday donation drive that saw employees raise US$16,714 by donating paid time off. TAI contributed an additional US$4,000. Funds went to City Harvest of New York City, and to help people in need of Orange County, CA. (press release)
- December 18, 2020 – Toshiba America Energy Systems Corporation (TAES) ran a food drive during the holidays to raise money for the Hunger Task Force, a local food bank for the community, to support the organization and the people who rely on it during the difficult time of the pandemic. TAES employees donated US$27,000 and Toshiba donated an addition US$5,000 on top of that, for a total donation of US$32,000.
- September 1, 2020 – Toshiba America Inc. (TAI) initiated an employee donation drive to support people impacted by COVID-19. Employees donated paid time off equivalent to US$20,539, and TAI contributed an additional US$5,000. Funds went to City Harvest of New York City, and to Second Harvest Food Bank in Orange County, CA, the two locations where the majority of TAI employees work. (press release)
- July 14, 2020 – Toshiba America Business Solutions, Inc. (TABS) and Toshiba Business Solutions Inc. (TBS) communicated their safety letter, video and graphics internally, and to clients and dealers. TABS and TBS created a flyer on how to properly clean a device and created a short video on how our techs are prepared to keep clients safe.
- March 13, 2020 – Toshiba Global Commerce Solutions COVID-19 Response